Thursday, November 8, 2012

If You Give A...


I have a confession to make.  I am not a fan of this series of books.  I know, I know.  They are so cute, the ending is so funny (the first time), they teach kids about story sequencing and cause and effect and...ugh.  I'm sorry, I just can't.   

In case you have somehow managed to avoid this series, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie is the story of all the wackiness that ensues when you give a mouse a cookie.  For example, he'll probably ask for some milk.  If you give him the milk, he'll want a straw, and if you give him the straw....I'll let you take it from there.  

The original book is actually pretty cute, especially for younger kids.  It's when you discover that there are something like 10 other books with the same exact premise that it starts to get a little irritating.  By the time she hits the one about the dog and the donut, it's clear that the author is totally phoning it in.  

All this being said, both of my children have gone through short phases during which they have loved these books.  It seems to happen at around age 2.  One time the Buddy had a stomach bug and one of the lesser-known If You Give A... books was caught in the crossfire.  She was broken-hearted when I said we'd have to get rid of it.  Even though I felt terrible for her, I will admit to feeling a tiny stab of glee as I threw the vomit-covered paperback in the trash, knowing I'd never again have to find out what happens when you give a pig a pancake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment